Monday, June 1, 2009

time for some chains

Lately I've been very inspired to take on some DIY projects (how many of them actually came true I won't tell you), so while flipping through some old magazines I came across this "so young, co cool" Steven Meisel editorial in an old issue of Vogue Italia. Naturally the photo shoot was about fashion world's cool, young things (which included Pixie Geldolf, Daisy Lowe, the Mishapes... you get the picture) all dolled up in hard-rock glam, edgy-con-kitschy outfits, many of which featured Bliss Lau's body jewelry (as seen on Marghertia Missoni here). Since the designer's well-received launch collection in 2007, body jewelry has returned to mainstream fashion once again and has been favored by various editorials and it-girls like Erin Wasson.
vogue

I have seen different variations of those chain body jewelry online, and a few DIY versions made by fashion bloggers alike, so I thought why not give it a try. Since I was going to Toho Shoji anyway to get a spare necklace chain, I also picked out a few extra ones for my DIY attempt. I chose relatively skinny chains to avoid an overly SM/ punk effect, and used 2 different tones - silver and chrome. I also added little clasps on some them so I could take them off from one another to switch the chain "patterns" (who doesn't love versatility in their accessories?). The whole project was surprisingly simple and easy; once I started draping the chains on the mannequin I just sort of assembled everything together, chain by chain. I'm not sure if it looks a little too Spiderman with that web design on the back, and there are still many things to be improved on. Afterall, I don't have the craftmanship of Ms. Lau (or any jewelry making skills at all so to speak), but with $24, I think I've made a pretty darn fun jewelry piece. Next time, I'm going to hunt for cheap vintage chains/ necklaces and maybe even add some leather elements (whenever that will be...)!

jewelry1
jewelry2
jewelry3

Image: photographed by Steven Meisel, Vogue Italia Feb 2009

1 comment:

mikomiao said...

it looks fantastic! Will you make me one? i love the way it looks on the back.