Tuesday, June 23, 2009

resort love





I haven't really been one of those wooed by Alexander Wang, or at least I never wanted to be. Not saying that I don't like his clothes; I think they have 100% downtown-cool factor, and there's no doubt this 25-year-old designer's got talent and saleability (he recently won the CFDA Swarovski Award for Womens wear), it's just that I don't understand what all the hype is about.

This was until I saw his latest Resort collection, and I began to grasp why...

There's really nothing we haven't seen before (the draped dresses, boyfriend cut, gym pants), but he reminded us how cool these basic items could look. Move 2 buttons over, and you have a pair of asymmetrical-closure pants: that's cool. Pull up a drapey dress and cut the shoulders out of the balloon sleeves and voila! a sexy look: that's cool. Tuck in a feminine see-through lace tank with a pair of otherwise gym-worthy "sweat"pants: now that's cool. The most appealing part of Wang's designs is his ability to make everything look so effortlessly hip and urban. And that's why girls love him.
That said, I still wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars to buy a denim vest, but I did have the urge to go to the closest thrift store and hunt for an 80's original one, complete with shoulder pads.


Images: Alexander Wang Resort 2010 collection via style.com

No comments: