Sunday, September 20, 2009

mindblowing art

New York Fashion Week just closed its curtains, and I am still catching up on the runway photos online, but as Anna Wintour put it, "Fashion's not about looking back, it's always about looking forward", so I am also moving forward to checking out the latest shows in the next fashion week city - London.




If one could argue that most of NYFW captures the spirit of contemporary sportswear and Americana a la Claire McCardell, then I say London Fashion Week best flaunts the originality and quirkiness of British talent by way of Zandra Rhodes. One of my favorite up-and-coming designers is Mary Katrantzou, who made her name with digitally rendered prints that are as colorful as they are sensational. For spring, she looked to the art of glass-blowing as inspiration, and translated the fluidity and mixture of colors into her silk dresses. This collection really spoke to me because I've seen the process of glass-blowing in person from a visit to the Corning Museum of Glass and the glass objects and artwork resulting could be truly beautiful, and it is especially amazing that this solid material could produce such soft and fluid forms.



Glass objects from the Corning Museum of Glass

So Katrantzou (and those glass cuffed pumps!!!) won my heart the first round of London's shows, and I have a feeling this is going to be a fabulous LFW!

No comments: